No afterSetCellMeta event when a comment is created (1.8.1)

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007f0b02ac4590>

Hi,

I reported that in the version 1.8.0 the event “afterSetCellMeta” is not triggered, and I got the suggestion to use “afterChange” but unfortunately, this event is not called when a comment is created (I tried with the version 1.8.1). Is there a way to hook an event when the comments are created? I would like to update hansontable, but without that feature, my grid is broken.

Cheers,

Hi @steve
I guess that you were talking to me before.

Please take a minute to check this issue I guess that it’s the same subject: https://github.com/handsontable/handsontable/issues/3899

Our developer Wojtek is currently working on this task. The task got Status: In development label 4 days ago.

See also my post: Bunch of missing events

Hi @steve @jon
Yesterday we published a new version of Handsontable where https://github.com/handsontable/handsontable/issues/3899 should be fixed. Can you confirm that it’s working in your projects?

@aleksandra_budnik
For my part I have had to stop taking Hot updates after 0.25.1.

Is there something particular that does not work for your project after 0.25.1 @jon?

Yes, my friend, unfortunately there is! If you recall, you removed formulas completely from the free version, after you had said they would be rewritten and available in the free version as well as the paid one :disappointed:. See our discussions in Latest news on "formulas" release date? and After Loading format currency

For the specific stop at 0.25.1, that was because at 0.26 you changed from numeraljs to numbrojs, and that was inconsistent with the existing Rule.js, as per After Loading format currency

Since by then I was already committed to using Hot as the “spreadsheet” control, I have had no choice but to remain at 0.25.1, and go through the code fixing bugs/adding enhancements as needed…

I remember this conversation @jon. It would be very hard to forget as it revealed some planning slippages on our side. Currently the situation is not perfect either as we had to stop working on the Formula plugin in the PRO version and the Plugin in still in an alpha stage.

Unofficially I can say (as I think you should be informed about this) that we are going to open formulas in MIT version again. However we cannot do it before they reach stable version which can take few months. I know that it’s not a concrete information but I wouldn’t want to promise anything more than I can. I can however ensure you that you will be one of first users that I will inform about bringing it into daylight.

Hi @aleksandra_budnik
Well this makes interesting reading! I did not know you were rethinking formulas’ existence in Free version, and you have seen my post elsewhere to the effect of I think you should indeed reconsider as they are so vital to any free “spreadsheet”, so it is welcome.

I will say that I am not sure what your aim has been in dropping Rule.js in favour of re-implementing yourselves from scratch, especially in view of the amount of time it is taking and slipages.

Since I have had no choice but to stick with Hot 0.25.1 and Rule.js, I have made a number of bug fixes & enhancements to Hot’s formula handling, still using Rule.js and without having had to change Rule.js code itself. While it has its problems, I have managed to fix bugs of incorrect cell recursive/forward references (which was the biggest problem area), validation, formula errors, caching, numeric typing, empty cell references, and more. so that now formula handling is acceptable. In that light, I wonder why you feel the need to abandon Rules.js, which is working for me? Of course, if you want sight of my code changes you only have to let me know!

[BTW, I have also made a small fix so that now Hot works fine on mobile, or at least iPad/iPhone! So I have formulas and mobiles :)]

I wish you a Happy Christmas!

That all sounds like a big amount of time and effort. I hope that our solution won’t be worse than what you have already managed to do by your own.

Current formula plugin is based on the RuleJS and even if it is not working the same it is caused by the huge technology gap between the current Handsontable version and the one that is used by RuleJS.

I am not a develope who’s going to take formulas to another step but I am sure than any help, tips or PR will be highly appreciated.

ps. I’d be more than happy to see your Handsontable implementation. Is there any beta version online?
ps.2. Merry Christmas for you as well @jon and happy New Year as I’m taking a week off and be back at 2nd of January.

@aleksandra_budnik
I have not written a new “Handsontable implementation”. All I am saying is that I use your Hot 0.25.1 code, including its use of Rule.js, but fixed enough of the bugs at the Hot code side, especially concerning formulas (handsontable.formula.js file), to make it acceptable with working formulas.

I don’t know what you mean by “it is caused by the huge technology gap between the current Handsontable version and the one that is used by RuleJS”. I find it fine where it is called from Hot 0.25.1. Maybe you want some esoteric jQuery stuff, I don’t know. For me, JavaScript is just plain ugly in any case, so I don’t have any problem with Rule.js code as-is.