`_refreshBorders` Undefined After Upgrading to 14.0.0

Tags: #<Tag:0x00007efc6b5da110> #<Tag:0x00007efc6b5d9eb8>

Hi,

I recently upgraded Handsontable to version 14.0.0, and I’m encountering an issue where the _refreshBorders function is now undefined. This function was added to my project a while back, and I’m unsure what the best alternative is in the new version. Is the render() function the correct replacement for _refreshBorders , or is there another method I should be using to achieve the same effect?

I’m relatively new to Handsontable and would appreciate any guidance on this matter.

Thank you!

Hi @jithin.raj449

Thank you for contacting us. In 14.0 we introduced many changes due to improving our compliance with A11Y standards. Can you please share a code demo including your current implementation? That way we can propose some other solution to this.

Thank you for the response.
Here’s a concise version of my code to illustrate how we manage the table:

var obj = new Handsontable.Core(container, config);
obj._refreshBorders();

Is _refreshBorders an internal function, given that it starts with an underscore and is undocumented?

@jithin.raj449

Thank you for the code. Yes, it’s an internal method. Can you please tell me what was the reason to use it? Were there any issues without it?

Thank you for confirming that _refreshBorders is an internal method.

The code was written a long time ago by someone else. I haven’t encountered any issues even after removing that function, and we are also using render() in our implementation. As I am new to Handsontable, I’m unsure about the function’s specific purpose. Based on my search, I understand that _refreshBorders was used to refresh cell borders specifically, while render() refreshes the entire table.

I just want to make sure my understanding is correct. Is there any additional functionality that _refreshBorders provided that render() does not cover?

@jithin.raj449

Thank you for the details. This method is even no longer present in our code base so I think it’s safe to just remove it or replace it with render() if it’s needed. If you would need assistance with anything else, let me know.

We also prefer to work on live examples prepared in jsFiddle, CodeSandbox or StackBlitz, as it’s easier to understand the problems with more context :slight_smile:

Thank you for the clarification. I will remove the _refreshBorders function from our code and rely on render() where needed.

I appreciate your assistance and will use live examples in jsFiddle, CodeSandbox, or StackBlitz for any future queries.

Thank you!